“Copy” is a bunch of words that get people to bust out their wallet and drop down the cash-o-la.
When you’re sending out emails or sales ads to get people into your personal training studio, you may or may not realize how powerful words can be.
And if you’re using language that lacks urgency and enthusiasm, no one’s gonna read your copy. Let alone sign up for your program.
Lucky for you, Steve Hochman unlocked the secret pattern to writing copy that makes people take MASSIVE ACTION – in our case, that means buying our fitness programs.
In order to get maximum eyes on you, you have to follow a certain order to write your copy in:
Now, let’s go through each of Steve’s steps together so you know what the heck I’m talking about.
Step 1: Captivation
Imagine that your reader is standing over a trashcan sifting through mail they either want to keep or toss out. You have .5 seconds to literally grab their attention so that they deem your sales copy worthy of making it to the kitchen counter.
How do you do this? With a bold, captivating headline.
The headline needs to be the biggest font on the page and written in red or blue to direct their eyes there first.
This instantly lets them know they’ve come to the right place, and to continue reading the next line.
For example, I surveyed my audience and found that their biggest want is to tone their hips, butt, and thighs so they can fit in their skinny jeans from college. And their biggest obstacles are they’re “too busy” or “hate dieting”.
So here’s how my headline looked:
“Who Else Wants To Drop 7 Pounds And 12 Inches Off Your Hips, Butt, And Thighs – Even If You’re Super Busy – And Without Dieting?”
Now, if someone from my target audience stumbles upon my ad, don’t you think they would say “Oh my god, I can’t believe I found this…it’s speaking to ME!”
Which will lead them to continue reading to the next line…
Step 2: Agitation
Once you’ve gotten their attention, it’s time to turn the heat up a notch.
You want to agitate their pain.
See, people buy off of emotion, not by logic. They’re reading your ad because they’re sick and tired of being fat and out of shape. They’re looking for a solution to their pain!
This is where I like to list several bullet points to really get them in that emotional state. For example:
Raise Your Hand If You’re SICK and TIRED of Struggling With…
- Trouble spots that just won’t go away (like those saddlebags)
- Your embarrassing stomach bulge
- Meat market gyms that make you feel uncomfortable
- Unrealistic diets that don’t work
- Having to count calories and deprive yourself of the food you love
- Busy with work, life, kids
- Having your skinny jeans hanging in the closet
By this point, they should be feeling their blood boil a little bit. They should be thinking “YEAH, I AM sick and tired of this tummy bulge. I want this fat gone!”
Now that you’ve got them fired up, it’s time to bring in the next phase…
Step 3: Relation
It’s time to introduce the solution to their problem – YOU.
I let my readers know that I TOO have struggled with my weight.
I tell them how miserable I was. How horrible my eating habits were. How low my self-esteem was.
I discovered this amazing fitness formula that changed my life. It was a miracle!
Let your readers in to how your program is the solution that they (and hundreds of others) need to get the results they want.
We relate to the “hero” stories because we root for the underdog – the fat, low confidence guy who pushed through the challenges, got in shape, and made a career out of helping others.
Think about it, we trust people who understand what we’re going through, right? This is your chance to be completely transparent and share your story.
Once you’ve made your outrageous claim about how your program is going to melt the pounds off, it’s time to back it up with social proof.
Step 4: Motivation
This step is where your reader is going to get REALLY motivated – because they’ll be able to see for themselves and believe it’s possible!
I like to put TONS of testimonials with before and after pictures and videos of happy clients on my home page.
Speaking of, NEVER hide your testimonials on another page!
Put them right on the home page where everyone can see – these are powerful game changers who could mean all the difference in closing a client.
Step 5: Formulation
You’ve given your audience proof that your workout program delivers results, so now it’s time to reveal HOW you do it.
Finally, Thanks To Fit Body Boot Camp…You No Longer Have To Deal With ANY Of That Ever Again!
- No More Diets, just a few “simple” nutritional guidelines…You’ll melt away the rest with the 847 calorie burning workouts.
- Our new boot camp formula will neutralize your stress, causing your fat hormones to “shut down” so you’ll stop storing fat, especially in your stomach, hips, and thighs.
- Fit Body Boot Camp fuses cardio, weights, and abs all into one workout…You’ll save time by burning fat, toning muscle, and getting a flat stomach all at once.
- Thanks to our in-door boot camps and joint-friendly spring-loaded floors, gone are the days of cold mornings, wet grass, and damp tennis shoes.
- You get the fat melting benefits of cardio while having fun, and NOT getting on boring machines.
- Our boot camp instructors are serious about pushing and motivating you, so you’ll get that strong, toned body that you’ve signed up for.
By now, they should have a clear image in their head of just how awesome they’re going to feel, and how toned they’re going to look when they sign up.
Stay tuned for the final steps, ladies and gents.
Committed to your success,