Ten Personal Trainer Marketing Lessons From Newport Beach

This past weekend was the first of three meeting for my 16 person, $12,000/head “7 Figure Formula” inner circle in beautiful Newport Beach, CA.

Honestly, and I know I speak for my buddy Chris McCombs when I say this, it was a relief just being in Cali for once and not being all over the country at all hours of the night filming “Add To Cart” documentary

(Speaking of Chris, he just reopening Market Annihilator… if you don’t know what Market Annihilator by now, it’s a step-by-step program for fitness pros who want to practically own the first page of Google and get boatload of internet leads)

Here we are in Washington D.C. last week. Flights got grounded and the hotels were sold out. So we slept in the hotel lobby.
Here we are in Washington D.C. last week. Flights got grounded and the hotels were sold out. So we slept in the hotel lobby.

Back to the Seven Figure Formula mastermind story…

It’s a funny thing… because while I’m the guy running the mastermind group I feel I learned just as much from the group as they got from me

and that’s why I decided to call this post 10 personal trainer marketing lessons…

What I like most about the group is how diverse it is. We have bootcamp operators, studio owners, and fitness info marketers. And I have 100% confidence that by the end of this program every one of them will be on track to earn seven figures – or in some cases their NEXT seven figures.

wholegroup

So without further ado here are the 16 personal trainer marketing (and time management) lessons I took away this weekend.

Lesson 1: Sell to people who can EASILY afford what you’re selling and WANT to BUY what you have. This one has nothing to do with personal trainer marketing, but it sure will make it easier to sell your services.

Lesson 2: Exhaust FREE marketing resources FIRST (craigs list, JVs, referrals, affiliate programs, ect…) before spending money on postcards, direct mail, newspaper ads, and other pay-to-play fitness marketing systems.

Lesson 3: Do the hard things first… those are typically the levers that cause the BIG shifts forward in your business.

Lesson 4:
There’s always room to learn. Even those in the 7 figure formula mastermind who are already earning seven figure discovered new personal trainer marketing and time management tactics that will help them get their next million.

Here I am taking the Maryland drivers permit test with internet marketing legend Yanik Silver coaching me along.  (check out the funky kicks on our camera man)
Here I am taking the Maryland drivers permit test with internet marketing legend Yanik Silver coaching me along. (check out the funky kicks on our camera man)

Lesson 5: Go narrow and deep before going wide and shallow. The fastest way to getting where you want FAST is to pick a niche and specialize.

Lesson 6: Ruthlessly guard your time. We all have the same 24 hours in a day yet some people get ten times more done in a day than others. Be ruthless with your time.

Lesson 7: Study direct response. Forget about branding or image advertising. The best personal trainer marketing systems I know use direct response tactics to move prospects to action.

In this pic I’m offering SEO guru Jeff Johnson a friendly hug… he had to REALLY think long and hard about it.
In this pic I’m offering SEO guru Jeff Johnson a friendly hug… he had to REALLY think long and hard about it.

Lesson 8: Want your business to take massive strides fast? Focus on the critical few and not the trivial many. ONLY 5% of the day-to-day things you do have MASSIVE FORWARD MOVMENT potential. Outsource the remaining 95% to others.

Lesson 9: Don’t take shit from anyone. Seriously. You’re in charge of your business. You decide where the money gets spent. You decide how much you pay your employees and YOU decide who you do business with.

Lesson 10: If you’re even 1% unhappy with something… do something about it. Don’t ever allow your business to feel like a JOB.

Here I’m sharing my secret money multiplying NLP tactic to the $12K mastermind
Here I’m sharing my secret money multiplying NLP tactic to the $12K mastermind

Looking back on this list I guess these were more than just personal trainer marketing lessons. We’ll I’m not going to go back and change the headline now…lol!

It’s still a killer post, right? Let me know what you think…